Home is Where the Heart is

“Mama said home is where the heart is when I left that town. I made it all the way to West Virginia and that’s where my heart found exactly where I’m supposed to be, it didn’t take much time…” – Lady Antebellum

Home!

The last time I was home was July 24. I think I just set an all-time new record for time spent away from home! Wow. I can’t believe it’s been that long! Needless to say, the weekend at home was AH-MAZING and just what I needed to recharge my consultant batteries J

Let’s go through a little timeline of my trip home, shall we?

Friday morning/afternoon: I was at the University of Evansville finishing up my visit and my grandparents drove 2 hours from their home to come pick me. Spoiled? Yes, a little bit, but they are the best grandparents in the world. It had rained the day before, which actually turned out to be perfect timing since my grandpa couldn’t get in the fields to farm that day. So we got to my grandparents house and just relaxed. Sitting there talking with my grandparents will never get old for me. There’s nothing better than the Hoosier Hospitality that my grandparents have and just how much of a home they’ve made their house to be. My grandma starting cooking dinner and I finally caught up on my sleep and took a much needed nap! I woke up to my mom at the house, since she had left straight from work to come pick me up! It was so good to see my best friend. We had a great family dinner and my uncle who lives down the road also joined us. I couldn’t have asked for a better start to my weekend at home!

Friday evening: After dinner we visited for a little longer and then decided it was time to start making our way home before it got too late. We decided as we were leaving to go just a little out of our way and stop by my brother’s apartment! He’s gearing up for basketball season and 2-a-days, so it was nice to stop in and see him before his life gets crazy with basketball.

Friday night: We finally got home and the relay across Indiana was complete! I’m pretty sure I collapsed in my bed as soon as I finally got to say hi to my dad who had to work that night.

Mom and I went shopping on Saturday (our favorite thing to do) and I finally updated my traveling wardrobe! Remember, I get 2 suitcases and that’s it, so I’ve been wearing the same 10 outfits for the last 2.5 months! Saturday night I got to catch up with one of my good friends and just relax.

Sunday was such a low-key day for us. Just spending the day with my family was good enough for me.

On Monday, mom and dad both took off work. We got lunch and headed over to eat at the lake. I’m convinced that there’s nothing better than an Indiana fall and that view at the lake was amazing! It was pretty chilly, but I’ve missed the colder weather! After lunch we had to start heading to the airport, and just like that, I was gone again.

My mom posted this quote and it was incredibly fitting for the weekend, “Enjoy the little things in life…for one day you’ll look back and realize they were big things.” I had work and my parents had work, but we all temporarily put them on hold for the weekend just so we could spend time together. If there’s one thing I will always brag about, it’s my family. They are the best and I have been so blessed by having them in my life.  Saying goodbye to my parents at the airport was hard to do, almost harder this time than it was in July! But, being able to say “see you in 9 days” was a lot easier than having to say “see you…uhh…well…I’m not really sure…hopefully before Thanksgiving!”

Counting my blessing and counting the days until I’m home again J