Beignets and Travel Days

“I don’t know no town like the old town. Even when the miles are many, I feel like I’m still around. Deep inside me like rings through an oak tree, yeah, there’s something about a Sunday when I’m gone…that keeps me turning home.” – David Nail

I’m home! Even though it’s 40 degrees and rainy (a far cry from 80 degrees and muggy in New Orleans on Monday!), I’m still convinced that there is no better place to be than the Midwest in the fall. There is so much to be thankful for this holiday season, and right now I’m most thankful for the week I get to spend at home with my family.

It’s always frustrating that I can never get a direct flight from New Orleans to Indianapolis, but my layover in Atlanta turned out to be a good one! Once we landed I saw that I had a missed call from phimucc Julie, so I called her immediately while I was still on the plane. I was expecting “Hello?” or “Hey Megan” but instead I got “OMG PLEASE TELL ME YOU’RE IN ATLANTA RIGHT NOW?!” Good thing I was in row 12 because I ran off that plane and continued to run to gate D22 to be reunited with my sister friend! We only got to catch up for about 20 minutes before she had to board her flight home, but it’s always great seeing a familiar face out on the road!

Once I landed in Indianapolis, my mom picked me up and I headed straight to dinner with my mom, aunt, and cousins at my favorite restaurant. The 5 of us always have so much fun together and that dinner was full of good food, good laughs, and good company. I couldn’t have asked for a better welcome home.

This past weekend was a busy one! One of the chapter members, Emily, and I headed into the French Quarter on Saturday afternoon to hang out and get away from campus for a little bit. I had been a few times before but always forgot my camera…typical. This time, I was the ultimate tourist, so a big thank you goes out to Emily for putting up with me!

The French Quarter essentials: Café Du Monde complete with beignets and café au lait, Jackson Square, the St. Louis Cathedral, shopping, muffulettas, the French Market, and much more!

drove right by the Superdome on our way! don't worry, I'm still a Colts fan.

I'll be attempting to make beignets for my family this holiday season so they can understand just how great they are!

Jackson Square and the beautiful streets of Nola!

the St. Louis Cathedral is gorgeous! we even saw a bride a groom getting married there! 

"Touchdown Jesus" and the back of the Cathedral - the story goes that as Hurricane Katrina was headed straight towards the French Quarter, Touchdown Jesus redirected Katrina toward Mississippi and in the process he lost one of the fingers on his left hand.

"this muffuletta is bigger than my head!" - Emily

Sunday night the chapter held elections, and I’m very excited for the new Executive Committee! I have to give a huge shout out to the current Executive Committee. It’s been great getting to work with you all this semester and I'm proud of all that you’ve accomplished. I’ll miss our weekly meetings, airports rides, and all of the laughs. Thanks for a great semester!

super sorority squat: Melanie (Chapter Adviser)
front row: Lindsey, Mary, Bri, Alex, Amy
back row: Emily, Caroline, Michelle, Tori, Lauren, Chelsea

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!