Training Wheels

“To serve in the light of truth, avoiding egotism, narrowness, and scorn.” – Phi Mu Creed

I had a meeting with a newly elected Executive Committee officer this week. As we were going through the typical meeting questions and just checking in on things, I asked her, “Ok, so tell me about some goals you have for this chapter overall.” We had a great discussion and she brought up some really great ideas. Then I asked, “Ok, anything else…?” because sometimes these officers, especially new ones, just need a little bit of a push and a little bit of encouragement for them to say exactly what they want to. After she hesitated for a moment, she said something that literally almost made me start to tear up. What she said is exactly what I’ve been trying to get this chapter to understand the entire semester. At times I felt like I wasn’t getting through to them, and I’ve been continually trying to think of ways to make them understand. When she said that, without me having to try and lead her in the direction to get to that conclusion…talk about a pretty big “small victory.” They are listening; they are understanding; they are growing as a chapter. Meetings like this are a constant reminder of why I'm here.

Tomorrow we have our New Officer Training/Transition, which is something I’m really looking forward to! It’s one of my favorite things that I get to do with this job. I consider myself very lucky to have the opportunity to get these women ready to take over leadership positions in this chapter! Even though I won’t get to work with this new Executive Committee next semester, it’s still exciting to push them and challenge them and see where they want to take this chapter.

I woke up to this amazing sight after a nap on one of my flights. it's pretty amazing some of the sights that you see from the air!

Here’s to keeping our horizons short and remembering that there’s always room for improvement!

P.S. I LOVE THE PHI MU CREED.

P.P.S. I MISS MY PHIMUCC SISTER FRIENDS.